Thursday, October 2, 2008

For Brynley...



Most of you know that I have 3 younger brothers and one sister who is the youngest child in our family. Her name is Brynley. She is all girl; she loves to have her hair and nails done and she has a genuine talent for dance. She has taken ballet since she was 3. Its been a real switch too having a little sister after my 3 brothers. We have Barbies and Hannah Montana in the house after years of Mutant Ninja Turtles and Legos. She loves our family. EVERYONE in our large family with all the aunts and uncles and cousins. Besides all of the pink and glitter she has brought to our family a deeper sense of love and the reality of Heavenly Father's love for all of His children. She has a lot of faith in the power of the Priesthood and never hesitates to ask for a blessing when she feels sick or sad. She loves to sing the "gospel songs" as she calls them, especially "I Am A Child of God" and "Called to Serve" She also likes the music that her big brothers like, especially Death Cab For Cutie and ColdPlay. Brynley has brought a lot of "extras" with her, you see she was born with Trisomy 21, more commonly called Down Syndrome. This means that she has an extra chromosome on her 21st chromosome.

Sometimes it is hard knowing that Brynley will grow up in a world that is not always accepting of differences or kind to people who have disabilities. If people would take the time to get to know someone who has a disability they would find out that they are some of the greatest people they will ever meet. Being around Brynley changes your perception on life, you see how she lives each day to its fullest, laughing and being care free. Then I realize that this is how we should all live our lives. I don’t think my sister will ever realize the impact she has had on my life, but I know I would not be the person I am today without her.

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and I hope that when you might meet or see someone with Down Syndrome don't be afraid to say hi. You can never have too many friends!!

Thanks Brynley, you are such a wonderful and inspiring little sister.
I love you Brynley!!