Wednesday, May 21, 2008

He made to North Carolina!!!


Elder Knighton(his companion in the MTC) and Sister Hatch are sitting up front, and there is Elder Colton waving to all of us. They are on their way to the mission home

Hey Guys,

I'm at the local library where they have computers for us to use. Its been a very interesting week. So we had the connecting flight to Charlotte from Ohio, and when we went to the baggage claim President and Sister Hobbs were waiting for us. I was the first one down and President Hobbs gave me a big hug and he welcomed me to the mission. Sister Hobbs shook my hand and they did a nice little welcome for everyone. I was still pretty nervous so I didn't say a lot. He called the Assistants and they came in with the Mission Assault Vehicle (MAV) and a trailer. We loaded up all of our luggage and then piled into the MAV, while President and his wife went to their car.

We drove to the mission home, took our pictures and then we went inside and met some more people that work at the mission office.(mom's note: we did get a picture of Jordan w/ Pres. and Sister Hobbs and a sweet letter this week).

We had dinner at their home, it was Mexican food and cheesecake for dessert. I didn't eat very much because I was still nervous. Then we had a little training meeting with the Assistants and in between all of that we had interviews with the President. The rest of that night was just reading a little bit from our Mission binder and then we said goodbye to everyone. Sister Hatch stayed there at the mission home and all of us Elders went to a Comfort Inn. Elder Knighton shared a room with me. We each had Queen size beds to stay in, that was nice. I didn't sleep a ton but it was nice to have a little bit of a better pillow then what I had at the MTC. The next morning we got up and we went down and had breakfast in the lobby. Then the Assistants picked us up and we started to head to Statesville where everyone meets for transfers.

When the time was right we went into the Relief Society room where we were introduced to our trainers. I was one of the last, my trainer is Elder Brown. He is about 6 feet tall so that is fun! He is from Spanish Fork Utah. He is really into music and I'm sure that Christian would really like him. His favorite band is Radiohead. He likes the same type of music we like as well. He really is into listening to what the artist is trying to say in the lyrics of songs, and trying to find the inner meanings. I do the same thing, so we have that same similarity. He has 7 months left to serve in his mission. He said that the area that we are in now is probably the best one that he has been in.

Our area is Tanglewood, which is South-West of Winston-Salem. We cover I think like 3 counties and its a suburb of Winston-Salem. We are allowed to drive up into Winston-Salem to go shopping, that is what we are going to do today. I found out that there is a Costco here so we are going to stop by there. I'm really excited about that for some reason!!

We finished Transfers and I got my bike from Scott Mull (he owns the bike shop). We loaded up all of my stuff into one of the member's trucks and drove into our area.. Our apartment is just for the two of us. We have a downstairs that has a living room and then the kitchen with half of a bathroom. We also have a washer and dryer so we don't have to use a member's washer and dryer. Upstairs is where the shower/bath is in another bathroom and then there are 2 bedrooms. One for us to sleep in and then the other is our study room. On the walls we have 2 maps, one for members and less actives, and then another for investigators. Elder Brown let me unpack and get myself situated. Then we headed out on a Team. This is where we go out with a member of the ward to an investigators home or go see a less active member.

We went to an investigator who was a Youth Minister for his church and is also working on his Doctorate. So he was very intelligent. I was glad that we had the Member with us, because he seemed like a very smart guy himself and is also the Elder's Quorm president. The Investigator only believed in Christianity because of the Physical Evidence. He said that was the only way that he would believe in the Book of Mormon. We tried to explain that we go more for a feeling and that we rely on the spirit, but he just wouldn't take that. I kept quiet for most of the conversation (ok all of it mostly).

The next morning we got up and did our studies and all of that in the morning and then headed out in our bikes. This last week was bike week and we will be getting a car later today after we go shopping with the Sisters who had the car last week (hope that makes sense)

The first thing that happens once we get out of our apartment and onto the main road a woman sticks her head out of her car and says "F***** Mormons!!" Elder Brown was pretty shocked, I laughed and he said that had never happened to him before while he had been on his mission. Welcome to the South I guess. Either they hate you or will politely just say no thanks, but still offer you a glass of water. Ive met some great people already and I really have grown to love the Members here. They are very supportive and really will do almost anything for us.

The first members I met were the Skinners. They had just returned from Utah to go to a Wedding for his sister-in-law. She was married in the Timpanogos Temple and they had the reception at Noah's Ark. I got to see some pictures and that was nice to see home again :) and that they were just right in our backyard. They said they went to the Lindon Walmart a few times while they were out there. We shared a short message with them after, which was just going quickly through The Restoration pamphlet that we give out to investigators and anyone else that wants one. So that was a nice comfort for me to know that we don't have to teach deeply. Another tender mercy from the Lord. The rest of the week was like that. We went to different homes and tried to find my way around, but its still hard to figure out exactly where am since we don't have mountains to get my bearings.

Sunday was way good. The Skinners picked us up and took us to church. It was almost like going into our ward at home. Everyone knew everyone and they all were so nice and welcoming. I still was sleepy so I fell asleep during Sacrament meeting, but I did listen to the talks! They were very well done. After Sacrament and all of the meetings we went out biking and it rained on us.

That was a very interesting rain. We had our poncho things to wear, but my pants got soaked. It was good I just wore regular dress slacks instead of my suit pants. It reminded me of Forrest Gump when he talked about the different types of rain. It came at every direction and I hated how the rain would fly up in my face from my tires and it made it hard to see. I need to get in shape :) my legs yell at me all day to stop. I may be slow, but I keep going. I know that eventually it will get better.

I guess its pretty rare for a lot of the mission, but here the members feed us dinner like almost everyday. So we just have to worry about breakfast and lunch. But sometimes they feed us then too. Like on Saturday morning we went and did a Service project to help one of the Brothers clean up after a Tornado that hit a week ago. Don't worry they are rare here and this is the first one to hit in 10 years. But we cut some logs and then we worked on just moving debris.. I would like to do more service stuff like that since it just reminds me of what I have done at home. I feel like I've accomplished more than when I'm just riding my bike to and from places.

I haven't gotten any letters yet from home since I've been out here, but the homesickness hasn't been as bad as it was at the MTC. When I'm out doing stuff I don't have time to think about that and its nice to not have to worry. I just kind of hope that things pick up and start to go fast as I keep going on. Well my time is almost up on here. I appreciate you love and prayers and support for me. Its so nice to know that I'm not doing this alone. I love you all so much, and its hard to express that in words.

I have come to love all of you so much more since I've been out here. To have the fullness of the Gospel and that Knowledge that we can be together forever. Well I'm going to go now, but I'll be back next week to let you know how things are going. Maybe I'll have an interesting story to tell. Who knows!!I love you guys and keep chuggin along, I sure am!

Love Elder Colton!!!