Monday, June 2, 2008

The first letter for June 2008

Hey Family...

Ah finally I have a chance to write you an email. We had a crazy day today. When we tried to get to the computers in Clemmons they were being worked on. We had to wait until now here in Lewisville and email you.

Thanks a million for all of your letters and the forwards that you sent me. To answer dad's question: My bike is great! The seat that they gave me has a hole in the front. It's kind of like a split seat and its really helped with the biking.

I love President Hobbs. He is such a kind and generous man. He is very sincere. When I had an interview with him earlier last week, he was very helpful and supportive. He also called me on Sunday to say that he got a copy of the story written about me. He said that he assumed that you would be sending me a copy, but if I didn't then he would gladly get one for me. He also said that he is going to be talking to the public relations group that they have out here to get my story to more people (I'm assuming even people who aren't members of the Church) because he said that it's a story that needs to be told.

A member of the ward printed out a copy of my story for me to read. He said that he really liked it as well. I shared it with some ward members, but I don't know how many other people here have seen it. IT does make me feel good. This is an answer to my prayers; that I would be able to hopefully reach someone with my testimony. It's now a lot more than I had first thought!!

Hmmm...I had my first exchange last week. I went with Elder Hyde. It was way cool to go to a new area and to teach other people. I was very nervous, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. We spent most of the day with Brother Farthing. His little girl can't say her th's, so she says her last name is "Farting". She made me laugh a lot. I'm not totally sure why, but they enjoyed me coming over and talking to them. I think maybe it was because I noticed that they have Munchkin and a lot of the games that we like to play. Christian and Ryan will like this, I got to ride in a Jaguar Convertable that day. Also this past Sunday the Ward Mission leader took us in his Audi A4, a really nice car. We haven't had a lot of people to teach in our area. It's a lot of drop by's and just seeing who would like us to come back. We have a lot of "don't". "Dont' want to listen to your message" and those who don't answer their door. Or they get really mad at you. One guy we were just going to say hi to said "Don't even THINK of coming to my house". So we said "have a great day" and rode on.

It was bike week this past week. The hottest day was Saturday. We were on bikes most of the day and I'm sure I lost a pound from all the sweating. I was thinking it might be a good idea if you'd sent me my Camelback. I could just use that backpack on weeks I'm biking around and then use Papa's on weeks I have the car. From what Elder Brown tells me there aren't a ton of biking areas. This is the first area he has gone to where he has biked a lot and in such a big area.

On Saturday we went back to the one of our investigators. He is a very nice guy and he had a lot of deep questions that I was surprised that I could answer. I didn't really have a lot of scripture to back it up, good thing Elder Brown was there. I shared with him how I knew the Church was true because of blessings I've had and that they are one of the reasons that I am alive. He is a very physical evidence based person and he has said that is why he is a Christian. However he can't believe in the Book of Mormon if there is no physical evidence to prove it. He says that the spiritual feelings could not be coming from God and would be deceiving us. I said that might be a possibilility. I told him that is why I am always testing God's promises to see if they are true or not. Time and time again it has been confirmed to me that this is the true church. I honestly hope that he would consider what I said. In spite of our religious differences, he is still very friendly to us. He took us to a Christian Bookstore and bought both of us a New King James Version of the bible. That was way cool. Elder Brown has been collecting different versions of the Bible to take home and that was one he was looking for. Then we went back and had dinner with him. Afterwards he took us home. I was thankful we didn't have to bike home. I was worn out and the ride was another tender mercy from the Lord.

I can tell how things are slowly connecting and coming together for me. I'm realizing that I don't have to know all the answers on the spot and that they will come over time. I'm getting better and faster on my bike. The hills we climb aren't as bad as they were my first day here. I am super happy we have the car this week and we don't have to bike around. We will probably be spending a lot of time in the outer towns of our area this week.

Well I'm going to read the other emails you sent me. I love you all and thanks so much for your love and support. It helps me so much. I love the work here. Thanks for praying for me, I feel your strength.

Love Elder Colton